Emirates is the biggest airline in the Middle-East and is based in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. Just as with Etihad and Qatar Airways, many things will be taken care of for you. You will be provided with a shared apartment in Dubai and you will be brought to and from the airport back to your apartment. However, you must not forget that this might interfere with your feeling of freedom to do whatever you like, invite whoever you like, whenever you like; as your employer might be able to check on you more easily. You have to work hard, but this will allow you to see many amazing places the world has to offer. Your colleagues come from all over the world and the corporate language is English.
After completing your initial training course, you will receive a fixed term contract for three years, with a probation period of six months. After these three years, your contract might be prolonged.
1. Cabin Crew Grade 2 (GR) (Economy Class)
2. Cabin Crew Grade 1 (GR1) (Business Class) – After a minimum of 1-3 years
3. Cabin Crew FG1 (First Class) – After a minimum of 1-3 years
4. Cabin Crew Senior Flight Supervisor (SFS) – After a minimum of 1-3 years
5. Flight Purser – After a minimum of 1-3 years
Salary / Wage:
The salary in the United Arab Emirates is tax free. Your salary consists of a basic salary and a hourly pay per flight hour. Below, you will find a table with the tax free salary overview for each position on board per month. Your salary does not grow per year, but with every promotion. An example of 80 flying hours is given. Due to sickness, standby or holidays, the actual flying hours might be reduced. Normal flying hours are somewhere between 80-100 hours. From your first day of training you will be paid the basic salary.
The salary includes:
– Shared (furnished) apartment paid by Emirates, including fridge/stove, gas, water and electricity. You will have to pay for electronic devices such as a TV, Router, Microwave, etc.
– Your are always entitled to live outside of the Emirates appartment, for which Emirates pays you a fixed allowance.
– When you are a Purser, you will be entitled a single apartment or will receive a higher living-out-allowance (to pay for your own apartment outside of the Emirates apartment building)
– Transportation from and to the airport
The salary excludes:
– Layover allowance (paid in the currency of the country you are staying in). For example: 57 Pounds for 24 hours in London, 88 Euros for 24 hours in Paris and 148 Dollars for 30 hours in New York. Meal allowances vary widely, depending on the aircraft type flying and on the amount of flying hours. It could range between 800-3000 Dirham (€192-€719), but will mostly be around 1500-2000 Dirham (€359-€479).
– A deduction of 340 Dirham (€82) for the first 12 months. You will receive this money back, once you have completed the first three-year contract
– A deduction of around 150 Dirham (€36) per month for medical insurance
Home base: – Dubai
Where you will stay after your working day:
– Sometimes you will stay at a hotel in another city or sometimes you return back to Dubai at the end of the day. Especially during the first months, you will mostly fly turnarounds (always returning back to Dubai).
You fly across the entire world, operating on both long and short haul flights. Your roster is put together by giving you a minimum rest time after returning to Dubai. After that, you are able to fly again. You will have at least 8 days off per month (not put together). You will fly around 90 (mostly 80-100) hours per month. On the right side, you will find an example roster.
– You will receive 30 days of annual leave
– You will receive one free ticket per year to your country of origin
Initial Training Course:
– 8 Weeks
– You will receive your basic salary of 4020 Dirham (€964) from your first day in Dubai (this is also the first day of your six month probation period)